Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Ugly American Syndrome, Day 1: Say what you mean or suck it up!

Now everyone has heard stories of “The Ugly American.” Some ignorant Hick goes to some foreign country with absolutely no clue about the local customs, traditions and laws. He then proceeds to make a complete and utter Ass out of himself while managing to insult pretty much everyone he meets. An excellent example of this is a section of Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad book where he and his traveling companions drive a poor guide crazy with questions. Read the book because it is well worth the read.
Course, much like everything else in my rather odd life, my definition of the Ugly American is slightly different. For as long as I can remember, I have called it my “Ugly American” routine every time I had to break out a can of Whup Ass when people and places do not perform the services that they are supposed to perform. My Wife hates it because I have no shame in arguing and disputing people in public when I feel that someone isn't doing their durned jobs. I have actually been known to yell if the situation warranted it.
So for the next few days or so, I am going to go over some of the examples of when I whipped out the UA stick and why I felt it was justified. Hopefully it will give all of you a rare insight into exactly how my mind works (or doesn't work depending on your point of view.) Hope you guys enjoy the ride.
My first example is actually a recent one and is a prime example of how things can escalate when people don't want to admit their mistakes or try to correct them. I am a Diabetic and dependent on Insulin on a daily basis to help balance and manage my Blood Sugar levels. A few days before this event (2 days to be precise), I had gone to our new Pharmacy to get the disposable needle tips that fit on the end of my insulin pens. The Pharmacy misunderstood what I needed and filled the prescription for the insulin pens themselves. No big deal, simple mistake and didn't even rate a blip on the complaint radar (Complaindar?). The cashier rang up the order before I realized the mistake and gave me a price of $70.00. I told them the mistake and they corrected it and we moved on. Everything was both hunky and dorry.
So 2 days later, I go to purchase the actual insulin because my Wife's payday had arrived and we had the money to buy the insulin. Barely anyway because our money situation is really tight right now. I ask the Pharmacist to fill the prescription. Hitch one occurs when she informs me that I had already had the prescription filled and that no more refills were left. It turned out that they hadn't taken the “purchase” from two days before out of the system so it showed I had already gotten the medications. However, she fixed the hitch and they proceeded to fill the prescription while I picked up other much needed supplies.
So along comes Hitch the second. Once I have finished buying our other supplies, I return to pick up the insulin. When the cashier rings up the meds, I am told it will be $120.00, almost TWICE the price I was quoted before. I pointed out that the price was a lot more than what I was told a mere two days before and that I simply didn't have the extra cash. Now at this point the UA was still on a short leash. All I was looking for was an an apology for the mistake and some way to fix the problem of me being out of insulin. I wasn't looking for freebies or anything else except perhaps purchasing one of the three boxes of Pens until such time as we had the cash to buy the rest.
Instead of offering any apology for their mistake, both the cashier and the Pharmacist proceeded to essentially tell me that they hadn't quoted the earlier price and that I was basically lying about it all. That is when the UA broke loose on them. With strained civility, I informed them that they had indeed quoted me a price of $70.00 two days before and they had done it in front of a Witness (My Wife). I informed them that I was dangerously short on insulin and had to have the pens to keep my blood sugar under control. I was not so politely informed once again that I was basically lying and that there was nothing they could do.
(As an aside here, I want to add that most of the pharmacies I have done business with in the past were more than willing to sell me a third of the overall prescription to tide me over till such time as I had the money for the rest of it. While it would have annoyed me to pay $40.00 for a third of a prescription that was supposed to cost $70.00, I would have still paid it, grumbled a little and went on with my life.)
So I left the store without Insulin feeling extremely grumpy to put it mildly. When I got home, I fired off a letter to the Store Website informing them of what had happened AND that my wife and were contemplating taking both our grocery and pharmacy business elsewhere. I told them in great detail how rude and accusatory the employees were and how angry I was. We actually had the insulin prescription transferred to another store and filled the next day.
Three days later, I received a phone call from the Head Pharmacist of the store who profusely apologized for the behavior of his employees and informed me that there had been at least three different ways the problem could have been handled. He then offered a very kind deal that will save me a lot of money on my next 6 refills on Insulin, but he had won me over simply by saying, “We messed up. We should have handled it better and we apologize.” That was all I had been looking for when all of this started.
Being a Ugly American isn't about being unnecessarily rude or mean. It isn't about expecting something for nothing. It is about expecting people and places to do the jobs given to them. It is about getting, at the very least, the minimum amount of service from where ever you are. Somehow, a large number of places seem to have forgotten the concept that they are there to serve the public. Whether it is slinging burgers or selling food, they are dependent on the Public for their lively hood. Despite what a lot of people like to think, the customer ain't always right. However when they Are right and you are wrong, you have to step up and admit it.
End of Rant

No comments:

Post a Comment