Total Pageviews

Friday, December 7, 2012

Its a Conspiracy, I tell you!



As most of you know by now, one of the first things I do when I get up at the crack of noon is drink about a pot of coffee and go through news feeds from 8 different sources. (Yes including Fox News.) It is my way of waking up and seeing what is going on in the world before tackling my oh so difficult job of sitting at my computer in my pajamas drinking coffee and writing down the information that the little blue gnomes have stored inside my headparts the night before.
So today I went through my news and saw two articles (See above links) that made me go, Hmm. So without hesitation (Okay well actually after another pot of coffee and a homemade Pepperoni & Cheese Biscuit plus potty break), I set fingertips to keyboard to create this sure to be amazing blog. (Well, either amazing or completely ignored. I have trouble telling the two apart sometimes.)
What is the fascination the human race has with Conspiracies? Why do we always feel the need to find patterns of intent in seemingly random events? Why do we still cuddle close to these ideas long after they have been proven to be false? A well known Atheist once said, “Man chooses to see patterns in things because he is afraid of being alone in the Universe. In his mind, patterns mean that some great driving force is at work in the Universe.” (Not going to say the person's name. Anyone who can correctly identify this person will get an honorable mention here in a future blog.) I think Conspiracy Buffs fall into that same category.
People hate the idea that Shift just happens. They need to believe that some greater force beyond blind chance is behind things that they cannot comprehend. So they invent Conspiracies. “The Moon landings were faked!” “There was more than one gunman in the Kennedy Assassination!” “Obama is plotting with the UN to take over the world!” “911 was a secret plot by the US!” There are hundreds if not thousands more. People stare at grainy photos or badly blurred films and believe what the so called experts tell them.
Now this blog isn't an attempt to debunk any conspiracy. That's not my job. Besides, if the tons of information available hasn't dissuaded the Buffs then nothing I say will. This piece is just my current nod to the whole Conspiracy community. (I say current because I did a conspiracy specific blog not that long ago under “Cry Bullcrap!”) The two articles above perfectly illustrate the Conspiracy Mindset both in an established conspiracy and one in its infancy.
Let's take the established one first. Much like the “Roosevelt knew in advance that Pearl Harbor would be bombed and let it happen so he could get us into WWII” (One of my personal favorites), the whole “Churchill knew that Conventry would be bombed and let it happen so that the Nazis wouldn't know that the Brits had broken their code system” is a conspiracy that just won't die. Studies have been done and volumes have been written on the subject that debunk this idea, but people refuse to let it die. Instead of studying the historical data, the “experts” cite one or two random quotes from people who Might have been involved. I truly believe that someone could invent a time machine, send the Buffs back in time to observe the events themselves and the Buffs would still cry foul.
Now onto the Conspiracy in the making. Buffs are claiming that black boxes in newer automobiles will be used by the Government to track and control citizens movements and freedoms. Now keep in mind that black boxes in cars have been around since the early 90s. In the past 12 years or so I haven't seen any signs of ANY sort of control on our highways, let alone some form of government control. The Hoopla has come about because now, Automakers are actually letting people know about the boxes.
Course, the vast majority of objections I am reading to the black boxes is along the lines of “Wait, if I am speeding while driving drunk and texting with my seatbelt unfastened and I have an accident, I won't be able to lie about it.” Basically people are objecting because if they do something illegal, it will be much easier to prove it. One Tater does mention a complete fictitious device which will allow the Government to track and control cars by remote control from orbit which I find is the height of paranoia. If the “Government” could control vehicles from orbit through black boxes, we'd have a lot fewer plane crashes. Also, keep in mind that with modern satellite technology, the Forces that be don't need some special gadget installed in your car. We have spy sats up there that can spot a field mouse farting in tall grass from high orbit. They would have little trouble tracking your SUV on a country road.
So, why this fascination..nay obsession with conspiracies? Why do they persist decades, sometimes centuries after they have been completely debunked? Maybe it is a need to see patterns where there aren't any or maybe we secretly love the idea of mysterious forces (Illuminati, Free Masons, League of Shadows etc.) interfering with our lives. Maybe it makes us feel special to think that our lives are important enough for the Grand Poobahs of the Hidden Order of Mystic Knights of the Hidden Chambers (GPHOMKHC for short) to meddle with. All I can say for sure is that as long as Humans exist, we will always find conspiracies hiding around every corner.
Course, keep in mind as you go about your day that just because something is a conspiracy doesn't automatically make it not true.
End of Rant

1 comment:

  1. The world is more random than most people think. It scares them.

    ReplyDelete