Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Only cowards are afraid of open debate

Talk may be cheap, but it isn't easy.
     So I have this friend, lets call him Tick.  I have known this guy for several decades and consider him a very good friend.  Now, Tick and I don't always (See seldom) agree on things especially politically.  To say that our viewpoints on most issues are widely divergent would be one of the best understatements of this millennia.  Our discussions often times get heated and lively.
     I posted a blog on the aftermath of the Zimmerman case and this led to a very lively, perhaps even heated debate on the events leading up to the trial and the events afterwards.   About half way through this back and forth, two of my online friends private messaged me and basically asked, "Why do I let TC rage against my opinions.  Why do I let him say those things in my feed?"  Their basic attitude was if he disagreed with me, why keep him as a friend.
      My mind boggles at the idea.  I grok that most people out there only want to hear from "friends" who agree with and support their ideas.  Well folks, in case you haven't figured it out by now I am not one of those people. 
     Lets compare three of my best friends.  Friend one (Well call him BeeBee) and I are as much alike as twins when it comes to most of our likes, dislikes and beliefs.  I call this man my Brother and am proud to do so.  I treasure his insight and intelligence  every time we talk.  Friend two (We will call him Mouse) is someone I have known almost as long as Beebee and Tick.  Even though there is a impressive gap between our ages, we have been as close a brothers for a very long time.  I calculate the mutual agreement ground with Mouse to be about 60/40.  We usually agree, but can have some significant disagreements too.  Again, I treasure his insights, intelligence AND his incredible artistic skills which often times net me free covers for my various novels. 
     Then there is Tick.  To say that we seldom agree on a lot of matters is an understatement.  It is almost a sign of the coming Alpacalips when we actually agree on anything of significance.  Hells some of my most colourful and entertaining post chains on FB are because Tick and I disagreed.  And this is hardly the first time people have questioned our continued friendship.
     Well, folks.  Here is the skinny of it.  I am a highly opinionated, some might even say arrogant person.  I have an ego the size of some small countries and the attitude of a pitbull on steroids.  I am unafraid to give my opinion on pretty much any subject  that I have even the most basic of information on.  I piss people off on a regular basis because I ask questions that a lot of people would rather not be asked.
     Having said that, I would rather have someone who disagrees with me and is willing to debate the situation than people who are too timid to speak their minds.  I'd rather have one honest dissenter than a 100 sycophants.  If you disagree with me, say so.  If you think I am wrong, tell me.  (Keep in mind you had better be prepared to back it up with skill and information.)
     Tick is not the least bit afraid to tell me (or anyone else for that matter)  when he thinks something is inaccurate or outright wrong.  He is willing to give his opinion about the world around him.  I admire that because that is what I expect from everyone.  Sure we disagree and will continue to do so probably for the rest of our lives.  And yes sometimes he annoys me but in truth I wouldn't have it any other way.
     Never be afraid to welcome open honest debate.  Always remember that just because people are agreeing with you to your face doesn't mean they aren't ripping you apart behind your back.
End of Rant




No comments:

Post a Comment