Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Compromising means everyone loses

One of my best friends, brother in every way but blood and colleague actually had some objections to the last Blog. (Imagine that?) Since he is one of the few people I consider to be an intellectual and professional equal (actually when it comes to serious, factual writing, I consider him head and shoulders above me since he actually does this sort of thing for a living and I piddle with it at best. My style of writing is more along the lines of "Hmm wonder what the elves are doing today?)

He took umbrage (Wait can you take umbrage and not be British? Questions questions) at the idea of the different parties compromising instead of one side or the other pushing their idea through. He quoted one of my favorite songs when he said, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything" and believe it or not, I agree him completely. Almost all of the problems facing the world (Not just the US) are because people compromised. They gave up their voices and let other people make the decisions for them. We all need to stop giving in and fighting for what we believe in.

Now, that said, unless you are talking about an armed rebellion against the US (Which I am not, I am severely allergic to bullets. I break out in blood every time one hits me.) or changing our style of government (Which I am not against if someone has a better idea. Any suggestions sent my way will be gleefully exposed in the next blog.) compromise is the only way we are ever going to get things done.

Here's the problem we have right now. (D) says they are right and (R) says that they are right and (B) just wants to save the world right now. (For the record (B) stands for the Tea Party members whom I have nothing against even if they call themselves Tea Baggers) Each set has their own view of how that should be done and steadfastly refuses to even admit that the other side might have some good ideas. The only problem with this attitude is that neither side is 100% right and neither side is 100% wrong. Both sides have some very good points although I do have to admit that (R) seems to have more good points right now than (D). However this doesn't mean that (D)s ideas should be completely ignored.

There is no reason why the government should shut down tonight. In my humble (yeah right) opinion, if it does close and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work, it is because both sides are simply grand standing. Fingers point on both sides to accuse the other of causing it, but it takes two sides to make an argument and two sides to reach an agreement. Lets push past this and use the remaining 6 months to resolve the other disputes.

What it boils down to is this, Congress, the Senate and the President can pull this crap because they won't be hurt by the shut down. You can bet that the Respected Senators and Honored Congressmen (People?) won't feel the sting and wonder how they will pay their bills. Oh yes, the brave men and women who defend our country and the men and women who work to keep it running might suffer, but politics will rage on and on. Come on, peoples. Can't we all just get along.

1 comment: