Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 16, 2013

What if it happened to you?

     So the Big Buzz Headlines this week are: Benghazi, IRS and the AP.  Anyone who hasn't been living in a cave knows what the headlines and roar is about so I won't go into that part.  (Also if you are living in a cave, it is highly unlikely you are getting the internet so I don't need to go into for you either.  Course if you don't get the internet than it is unlikely that you just saw me tell you how unlikely it is that...Argh!)  So there is way to much to talk about with the three subjects, so today I am going to focus on just one.  May cover the others later, may not.  I am kind of unpredictable like that.
     The IRS is apparently guilty of targeting Conservative Non-Profit organizations during the elections.  They used buzz words such as Tea Party, Conservative and Taxes to deliberately target CNP organizations.  Now I could spend volumes going into the apparent whyfors and what whatnots, but suffice it to say that they messed up, tried to hide it and got caught.  I will also not go into how much involvement, if any Obama had with this situation since I for one do not have all of the facts and refuse to comment on things that I don't have facts for.  (Well okay most times I refuse to comment.  I'm moody, get over it!)
     No, what bothers me and coincidentally what this little blog is about is a lot of peoples' reactions to the news that a office of the US Government deliberately targeted people/organizations without any sort of actual evidence that said groups had done anything wrong.  No tips, no clues and no hidden messages in cool pictures appeared to let the IRS know that somebody was being bad.  They acted on purely "Coulda beens."
     (As an historical aside here, I would like to unhappily point out that this is nothing new under the sun.  Both the IRS and the FBI targeted the Reverend King.  During his election bid, JFK was targeted by opposition forces.  Malcolm X was targeted by pretty much every single Government Organization out there.  So unfortunately this is nothing new, just the most recent.)
     What concerns me is the reaction that so many Democrats/Liberals etc seem to be having.  (In this case I refer to individuals not politicians.)  One of my FB friends even went as far as to say, "Good for the IRS."  (Wow how many times have you heard that line?)  The consensus seems to be that the IRS did the right thing because these organizations COULD have been doing something shady.  Not were, but could.
     This concerns me for one simple reason.  What if it was someone/thing you supported?  What if the IRS had been targeting Balding Middle Aged White Men Who Are Left Handed?  What if they had been targeting your Church, your club or your family because you "might have been doing something wrong?"  How would you feel if it was suddenly "Us" instead of "Them?"  Would you be as happy and proud then?  Probably not.
     Everyone should be concerned and worried when groups start acting on crimes that might be committed instead of crimes that have been committed.  When we start tossing out the rules just because we don't like someone or something, then it is only a matter of time before that tactic is turned on you.
End of Rant

No comments:

Post a Comment