Total Pageviews

Monday, February 4, 2013

Special Order Do Upset us!

Today...not so much!

     (Okay first of all let me acknowledge that the old "Special Orders don't upset us" was Burger King not McDonalds, but it seemed appropriate.  Moving on...)

     So my wife and I decided that we would walk down to the local grocery store to pick up a couple of things and grab a snack at the Golden Arches.  (In search of a migraine cure of all things, don't ask it is a long story.)  So I walk up to the little girl behind the counter and I say, "I'd like a Big Mac with Ketchup, Mustard and Cheese."  I spoke these words in fairly clear English and the order itself was a simple order.  So why in all of Hades did it take 15 minutes to get through it.
     First the girl gets a confused look on her face while staring at her screen.  Then she starts randomly poking buttons while talking to herself.  Then, when she apparently can't figure out how to enter the order she calls over another girl and asks her how to enter the order.  The second girl can apparently figure out how to put ketchup only and mustard only on the order, but the cheese search seems to baffle her.  After about five minutes of poking, she then calls over another woman whose badge proudly proclaims her to be as Ass. Manager.  (I kid you not!)
Job opening, no common sense required.

    Now the Ass Manager, Nancy by name, looks at everything the two girls has done and then clears it all out.  She then takes another five minutes to reenter the order (with the two others occasionally pressing buttons beside her) before finally managing to enter my order of a Big Mac, Ketchup, Mustard and Cheese only.  (It should be noted that she also entered it in as a meal even though I told all three of them it was a sandwich only.)  So after 15 minutes, I could finally place THE REST of my order!
     Now folks, having worked in many many fast food places in my life, I grok that Rhodes Scholars do not apply for these jobs.  I understand that many of the workers don't have the common sense God gave a Congressman, but can we at least get people who know which Marked buttons on the screen to push without sparking a business conference?  In the time it took us to order our very simple meal (Aforementioned Big Mac, FiletOFish and a large drink) and finally get to eat it, we could have run our little errand at the store and been half way home again.
     I can imagine that maybe the first two girls were newly hired and not well trained...maybe?  But I am guessing that an Ass. Manager should at least have a rudimentary understanding of order taking mechanics.  Needless to say I have no real urge to revisit that particular McDonalds again any time in the near future.

As a final note, the burger was actually very good.  Once I actually got it.
End of Rant








No comments:

Post a Comment