Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Just the facts, Ma'am or "Do you kiss your Mama with that mouth?"

I'm not an Expert on....well pretty much anything. I have a whole bunch of random, mostly unimportant and trivial information stored away in the dusty processor that I call my brain. Even before the advent of the Interwebz, I would always try and find some evidence, no matter how slim of the truth of what I was saying because I was rarely 100% sure that I was right.
So, last night I was in a fairly reasonable and mostly polite comment chain about "That." (What that is is unimportant and would take too long to explain here, just accept "that" and move on, people.) I happen to know quite a bit about "That" due to my profession of choice and very politely corrected someone when they made an inaccurate claim about "That" and that is where all politeness and civility went right down the crapper.
The woman I corrected immediately called me a liar and said that she KNEW that I was wrong and that she was right. So, given the fact that I am not an Expert, I went to the Interwebz and visited the sites of actual experts...you know the ones who get paid for it...and supplied her with multiple links to both .gov and business websites. She called me a liar again and another person on the chain chipped in and said those weren't real sources.
So I, being in a somewhat reasonable mood, politely asked these two marvelous ladies to supply me with "proof" from "real sources." The second lady continued to call me names (Just as a matter of note, unless your biology is radically different than mine, it is pretty unreasonable to expect me to fit my laptop in THERE especially unfolded.) and the first lady spent five more posts accusing me of posting "fake news" before she posted her Coo Dee Grassy in the form of a blog written by a visual arts student in Idaho of all places. (Needless to say, the subject we were discussing had absolutely nothing to do with art, visual or otherwise.
Now, folks and folkettes, I can grasp if someone questions my sources. Hells, most days I question them (also my sanity but that is another story entirely) and I welcome anyone posting a rebuttal to anything I post/say/claim/mambo. However, and this may be hard for some people to understand, posting a blog from someone who is not even connected to the subject at hand is not "Proof." It does not automatically invalidate your argument but it doesn't prove you right. However, this lady proudly posted that blog and laid it down like it was the word of God handed down from on high. She then called me several more colorful names (Pretty sure rats don't have the physical capacity for that AND it sounds nasty). I shrugged mentally and moved on. A few hours later, I checked back because I got the usual "X has responded to your comment" and found that all of her comments and insults had been removed and that the site had posted a "Please review our guidelines when it comes to appropriate posts and language." The other lady commentator accused me of getting the first one banned because she had proven me wrong. I politely suggested that she got banned because of her unfortunate though colorful choices of wordage. There have been no further responses.
I don't care of you disagree with me. I don't care if you insult me. If the insults are particularly creative I may even compliment you. If they are actually ones that I have never heard before, I will gleefully steel them. I really don't even care if what you are saying is true or if you can prove it. I do care when I post at least somewhat viable evidence of what I am saying and you post pure B.S. Winning a battle of wits with me isn't that hard. Most people who know me will tell you that I wander through life mostly unarmed for such combat. However, your B.S. does not trump my possible facts and your insults definitely do not win the argument.
End of Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment