Total Pageviews

Friday, January 24, 2014

One thing leads to another and another and another.

     Now keep in mind that when I posted the below article about Mike Huckabee's remarkable tirade about Damnocrat VS Reboobican views and attitudes on women, I wasn't attempting to Tate on whether Boobs are actually waging a war on women or if Damns were distorting what the Boobs were saying to make them look bad.  I wasn't attempting some clever commentary on Health Care VS Birth Control or anything in depth.  My posting was purely about using words properly and making sure what you say is what you mean to say because "anything you say can and will be used against you."  My posting was purely on language and its proper use, not on the actual content or intent of the person speaking. 

As it so often does, my rather innocent (snigger) post prompted an incredibly long and interesting back and forth.  I'd post it in its entirety, but the website has storage limits.  Needless to say that the conversation bounced around multiple subjects and varying viewpoints before I finally bailed to do actual real work.  One of my dear friends of many many years and a regular Tater on these things made several insightful (Inciteful?) comments before leaving the thread for awhile.  She later posted the piece below the article link that I found incredibly intelligent and wise.  So I leave you with the link that started it all and MA's wise words.

The shout heard round the Interwebz. 

"The Definition of Respect

January 24, 2014 at 11:19am
Recent discussions about Mike Huckabee’s comments on how Democrats are disrespectful towards women have gotten me thinking.
      To quote Cool Hand Luke, what we have here is a failure to communicate. During discussions about the Huckabee matter, one “friend of a friend” defended Huckabee as being correct – that Democrats were disrespectful towards women. I was stunned. How could any thinking human being believe that Democrats are more disrespectful towards women than Republicans? It was like we were in a different universe, or speaking a different language. How do you respond to that?
      So I went for a walk. (I do my best thinking while walking.) And it occurred to me that we are speaking a different language.
      The problem is differing definitions of "respect". When Republicans use the word (as it pertains to women, anyway), they mean treating us poor, stupid, fragile vessels as if our heads would explode if we were forced to make hard decisions or be exposed to "ugly" things (like sex, for instance). This requires a big strong man (or government) to take our poor little selves in hand and protect us from the big baddies.
      It's the old "whore-Madonna" thing. There are only two choices. If we're not a Madonna, we must be whores. There is no in between. While the Democrats are far from perfect, they do seem to think that we're adult human beings who can make our own decisions without the help of a man or a politician.
      Someone who has the definition of respect that I described above (like Huckabee appears to) would think it's disrespectful to say that women need birth because it implies (gasp!) that women enjoy sex. Since madonnas don't enjoy sex, a woman who enjoys MUST be a whore. Therefore, Democrats are calling women "whores" and that's disrespectful. I can see his logic. I don't agree with it, but there is a logic chain involved.
      So when you’re having these discussion, remember to define your terms. If you’re not speaking the same language, you’ll never get anywhere."

End of Rant

No comments:

Post a Comment