Total Pageviews

Monday, September 23, 2013

The times they are a changing and boy does it peeve some people off.


This piece isn't about the subject of Transgender or even the LGBT movement. My feelings about those particular subjects should be well known from these blogs and my other posts. I have friends who disagree with my position and that is perfectly fine because, unlike it seems the majority of the world, I can disagree civilly with my friends and still not range into insults. (Well except maybe in TC's case, but then it is usually a conscious choice between the two of us to liven things up and not meant to be harmful.) No, this piece is more about human nature and expectations thereof.
First let me say I am proud of this young girl. I am proud of her having the courage to attempt something that has never been done before and I am proud of her for standing up for herself despite any harshness that might be directed her way. I am also proud of her School for allowing this to happen. For a School to allow a TG student to run for Homecoming Queen despite what was probably substantial backlash from some parents and church leaders takes a lot of courage. I am also proud of her classmates since she would have never become Queen without their votes. (As a side note, I'd also like to apologize for the very obvious and highly inappropriate joke that occurred in my head when I first read about a TG student being voted Homecoming Queen. That has less to do with being insensitive than the fact that I have a warped mind.)
Whereas I support this girl and the 1000s more like her who are trying to change the world one step at a time, I do find myself questioning what she was expecting when she became Queen. She cries and talks about all of the negativity and backlash that has occurred as she is surprised that it is happening. Like she expected to be selected and everything would be both hunky and dorry. I just wonder what she was thinking.
We live in a country where people get their knickers in a serious twist when a little boy who was born in America sings the National Anthem (Twice) just because he was Hispanic. We reside in a nation where people get peeved off because a young lade from New York wins Miss America just because she is of Indian Descent. We live in a land where people get serious diarrhea of the mouth just because there is a CARTOON show about a little boy who transforms into a female superhero. (Shezow just in case you haven't heard about it. It is actually very funny.) So of course the haters, nutjobs and bigots are going to come out in full force when a TG wins Homecoming Queen.
Now do I think this is right? Hells no! Would I expect anything less from the Narrow Minded Nose Breathers that seem to populate the Twit Zone and other Social Media sites. Double Hells no! I like to believe that we are slowly moving past such things, but it is very much a case of two steps forward/one and a half steps back. She stood up for what she believes in. She fought for what she thought was right. (Okay it was just Homecoming Queen, but it is still important to most High Schoolers.) She should be commended for that, but to expect anything more than hate and derision from most people out there is a little silly. It shouldn't be, but it is.
As a closing note, I was (as usual) vaguely amused by all of the comments where people were saying things like “Voicing my opinion is now hate speech?” etc. Hey, Morons! Everyone has the right to civilly express their displeasure over any subject. It is called the 1st Amendment. (Or as I like to call it, Fred.) The people who have this girl crying didn't express civil opinions. They cursed her and derided her. They mocked her harshly. There is a big difference between saying, “I disagree with the Transgender movement and do not personally believe that Gender/Sexual Orientation” is determined by biology” and saying...well pretty much anything that has appeared on the WBC protest signs.
I truly hope that we will change our bigoted ways in the future. We have seen it happen in the past with the Civil Rights movement so it is possible. If it happens it is because more and more people like this Homecoming Queen have the courage to stand up and don a sparkly tiara despite the criticism and hate that might come.
End of Rant

No comments:

Post a Comment