Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

And now for something completely different...or A Kinder, Gentler Ass.

 Now normally I use this time to rant and rave about whatever thing vexes me or sometimes just about random thoughts that wander through my headparts. I am seldom nice and rarely polite and usually more than a tad insulting. I have a very large readership spread out over a half dozen or so countries so I am guessing that all of you are okay with that so I won’t be changing the format anytime soon. But occasionally I like to talk about stuff that isn’t so confrontational. Heck I have been known to go on about cute and fuzzy animals. So this little missive is something a little bit different. I hope you enjoy it. If not, go back and read the next to last blog again. It’s pretty good and very snarky. Now, MOVING ON!
#HUMANUP
We recently celebrated National Coming Out Day and it inspired a couple of comment chains on Facebook that definitely made me feel a little bit better about the world. We talked about how hard it is for people to find people and places they can feel safe with/in. We talked about how everyone needs to know that there are people out there who really don’t give a dang about who they choose to love or what they choose to believe.
One of my friends (Brother in every way but blood really) suggested that people who were willing to help and to listen or just to give a safe place to be needed to put where they were and what areas they could help with. I am proud to say that the response was overwhelming. By the time we were done, I think we had a healthy section of the US covered. People offered their help, their love and their homes to anyone who needed them. I actually felt humbled by all of it. (And for those of you who read my stuff, you know that is saying something.)
There is so much hate in the world. White People hate Black People, Christians hate Muslims, Straight People hate Gay People and I hate Clowns (Brrrrrr). There is a wonderful line from a fantastic song called FANCY. “Now in this world there’s a lot of self righteous hypocrites that would call me bad...” The world is filled with cruel people who think that only their way/their beliefs are the right ones and if you don’t fit into their tiny little molds, then you are a bad person. Watch any news show or read any news report and you’ll see it. We don’t need more of that hate and cruelty.
Another classic song by Anne Murray called “A Little Good New” says it perfectly. With all of the horror and all of the cruelty in the world, couldn’t we all use some good news instead of all this bad? Instead of seeing videos of the Westboro Baptist Church waving signs saying “God Hates...” or videos of some terrorist beating a woman or beheading a man, couldn’t we occasionally see films of all the people doing their best to try and help? Men and Women in war torn countries struggling to help the wounded and feed the hungry? People here in the US housing the homeless and caring for the sick? Besides just showing the ugly, can’t we show some of the beauty too?
In closing, I am going to say what my brother said and so many of the people I proud to call friends said. If you are in trouble, come to me. If you need someone to listen to, come to me. If you are hungry, come to me. I may not know you well and I am certainly not the wisest person alive, but I can listen and by the gods, I can cook. If you need shelter, we will help you. If you need to be clothed, we will help you. There is a lot of bad in the world, but my friends prove time and again that there is also a lot of good.
To steal another great line, “Be the difference.”
#humanup


2 comments: