Total Pageviews

Friday, November 29, 2013

SMOKING!

I'm grumpy because my mouth is on fire.
(Let me start this little rant by stating that I have nothing against people who smoke. Everyone has their own addictions and vices that make their lives complete and it yours is sticking a burning roll of paper and plant matter into your mouth and breathing toxic smoke into your lungs, more power to you. My own personal vices include Caffeine and Chocolate so who am I to judge? Now having said that bit of nice nice, onwards with the rant!)
So as most of the people who read my blogs (all four of you) know, I recently started a seasonal job working in retail. Since it is my first job of any kind in five years, I am very happy with this turn of events especially with the holidays coming up. For the most part, the two weeks I have worked so far have been very enjoyable and more than a little amusing. However, Friday Morning (Black Friday) I had to work from 1am to 7am alongside a young lady and found myself getting more and more annoyed.
Now before I go any further, I have to state that this young lady is a very hard working individual. She works a full time job and two part time jobs while attending law classes and raising an 8 year old daughter. For the most part, her work ethic seems to be exceptional. However, her actions last night reminded me of one of my most intense pet peeves when it comes to Smokers. During the 6 hours we worked together, she left the kiosk area no less than 8 times for at least 10 minutes at a time to go outside “for a smoke.”
Folks I have news for your smokers out there who seem to think that the world has to pause so that you can feed your addiction. Stepping outside to fill your lungs with smoke is not a right. It isn't a Federally Mandated Break. You don't have the right to stop working and leave just because you need a nicotine fix. You either need to wait till it is time for your break (if you get one) or wait till you get off work. It is that simple. The few times I have been management or owned my own business with employees, if I caught them skipping work to puff up, they would have been disciplined.
I like smoking because it makes me feel pretty.
Smokers who seem to think they deserve smoke breaks would be highly put out if I said, “Whups, my caffeine levels are dangerously low. I need to find a coffee machine and brew myself an espresso. I'll be back in 15 minutes.” Hell, I actually had a smoker complain during my last seasonal job when I had to stop and check my blood sugar levels because I was feeling horribly ill. Keep in mind he had already stopped for three smoke breaks in the four hours we had been working.
Duct tape optional

This is a free country, folks and you have the right to ruin your health with whatever vice or addiction that you chose. Go for it! If you want to mainline Drano, then more power to you. If you want to shove gerbils up your bum, have fun. However, don't expect the rest of the world to give a flying flick about it or your fellow employees to compensate while you go do it. Most organizations give a half hour to hour lunch and at least one fifteen minute break for full time employees. Wait till one of those breaks to go indulge your addictions. If you don't get breaks, then suck it up and wait till your shift is over. Your withdrawal is not my problem or concern.
End of Rant





No comments:

Post a Comment