Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Evolution VS Creationism

Now before I get going here let me make a statement that is probably going to truly cheese off a lot of people, but bear with me for the explanation. There is no known Scientific evidence to support the existence of a Supreme Being who created the heavens and the earth and made man/woman in his own image. Yes there is plenty of historical evidence to support the fact that many of the people, places and events portrayed in the Bible happened, but nothing to suggest a divine hand was involved.

The belief in a higher power that guides us and helps up is driven purely by faith. (I won't go into my own beliefs here. Anyone that truly knows me knows my faith and my beliefs.) Because people have faith, they see the proof of God all around them in everything from a tree frog to a blue whale. Their beliefs give them all the proof they need and all the proof I need.

Now all of that said, what does it have to with the title of this blog? Simple, once again many different organizations are pushing to have Creationism taught in public schools alongside (Actually most would prefer INSTEAD) of Evolution. This is causing the usual stink about separation of church and state plus just a smidgen of freedom of religion. Now my brother in Arms and Faith recently wrote a really excellent blog on School Prayer that deals with that subject much more eloquently than I could so we will move on.

Here's the thing. I am all for teaching Creationism in Public Schools with one caveat. Wait for it! I am all for teaching the THEORY OF CREATIONISM right alongside the THEORY OF EVOLUTION. The dictionary defines Theory as : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena or an unproved assumption. Despite the fact that most people and most teachers "preach" that Evolution is a FACT, it's not The TOE is simply the widest accepted idea because it's assumptions fit observation the best. It is not a Scientific Fact and prolly never will be until someone invents a time machine and sits through the whole shebang from day one.

Now Creationism as a Theorem is on about as solid ground as Evolution. (Okay the idea that a lot of people have that the universe is only thousands of years old is quicksand, but besides that.) Creationism is not religion nor is it universally accepted. Hells, the various and sundry Sects of Christianity can't even fully agree on it. It is simply an attempt by scholars and researchers to use the available data to explain the universe around them. So why shouldn't it be taught alongside other scientific Posits? Toss them all in and let everyone decide for themselves which one is right.

2 comments:

  1. Since Rebel has again not bothered to point his readers to the blog he references.

    http://porkbrainsandmilkgravy.blogspot.com/2011/03/you-dont-want-prayer-in-schools.html


    Otherwise, I do agree with this caveat - which version of creationism will be taught? Riddle me that one and I'll point you to my blog (see above) which will enter you into a morass of which there is an escape, but I ain't gonna tell you what it is. Rebel might.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, I posted the link this time honest, but for whatever reason my Blog didnt show it. Sorry Benjy.

    ReplyDelete