Total Pageviews

Monday, April 1, 2013

Safari So Goody Day Two or "Made his house out of twigs"

     So as the sun rose over our primitive campsite, I ventured out into the wilds to try and find food to break our fast.  I lucked upon a watering hole where I quickly gathered a filling meal of Eggs and Pork.  I returned to our camp in time to find my trusty guide, Paula cleaning the camp and preparing our packs for the continuation of our travels.  We ate quickly and mounted our trust red steed.  I was more excited than the time I had hunted the Dreaded Foo Bird in the Pacific Ocean.
     Our plan was to scout the lay of the land while looking for a good place to set up a permanent Base Camp.  We hoped to search some of the local dwellings for suitable shelter.  The huts here are primitive, but should serve our needs easily enough.  Paula had made arrangements for us to meet with a Local Native Guide who claimed that she could help us locate suitable lodgings.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Museum_of_the_marines_corps.JPG/250px-Museum_of_the_marines_corps.JPG
You could almost sense the sheer power of the structure.
         As we traveled along a fairly well beaten game trail that I hoped would lead to our new Guide's Village, I spotted a magnificent structure looking above the jungle tree tops.  As always, my faithful guide Paula was versed in the local tribal lore. She told me that the ancient temple was a holy site built to honor the Elite Warriors of the Local Tribes.  She told me that these "Devil Dogs" (Which oddly enough weren't dogs at all.) were feared and respected across the globe and were some of the fiercest warriors that jungles had ever seen.  I hope to arrange permission with the local Chieftains to actually visit the site one day.
     Our meeting with our native guide went very well.  Despite the rough terrain and occasionally unfriendly natives, she was able to show us many rude but serviceable huts that could very well serve as our permanent base.  We had hoped to visit more structures, but with the weather turning foul and Paula feeling the effects of the jungle, we decided to return to our original camp and get some rest.  These harsh environs can easily drain the very life out of you if you aren't careful.
     Come the Sunrise, we intend to set out on our own to explore more of this strange new land.  We have made arrangements to meet again with the native guide on the day after, but any seasoned explorer knows that sometimes you have better luck setting out on your own and seeing where the winds and trails take you.
     I will make further entries into my journal when (And possibly if) we return from our exploration tomorrow.
End of rant

No comments:

Post a Comment